Friday, March 03, 2006

The One Campaign

What in the world would ever bring democrats, republicans, movie stars, televangelists, Christians and atheists together to agree on something and speak with one voice? Believe it or not, poverty and Aids in Africa. I would never have believed it if I did not see it myself. You may have noticed a link that I keep on my blog to the ONE campaign. This past summer when I was in the states I saw an interview with Brad Pitt where he was talking about the ONE campaign and what it is doing to help the poor and suffering in Africa. I was really impressed to see a millionaire movie star walking around in a third world country allowing himself to be humbled by the lives of people living in poverty and dying from things that are preventable.

I also read a book about the lead singer of U2 called Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas where among other things he talks about both the one campaign and DATA org (Death, Aids, Trade, Africa). There is no single, simple cause to all of the problems facing Africa nor is there a single, simple solution. However, I believe that the ONE campaign is working diligently on behalf of the poor and dying in Africa and would invite you to find out more about them,what they are doing and how you can get involved.

No comments: